[WC] Whitaker Center Summer Research Scholarships (15 total)

Johnson, Dr. Brian bpjohnson at fgcu.edu
Thu Jan 21 14:08:28 EST 2021

Hello,

You may have already seen this information through another channel already, so I apologize for any repetitions.

Please share/forward to interested students or faculty that are active with student research so that we can have a robust, diverse pool of applicants to make these awards! We have just over one month until the deadline for the application. Please reach out to me if you have any questions about the STEM major or other requirements.

Sincerely,
Brian

During the summer of 2021, the Whitaker Center for STEM Education will be awarding 13 scholarships for undergraduate and graduate STEM majors graduating May 2022 or later through the Blair Foundation Scholarship (details below), and 2 scholarships for undergraduate research in the life sciences through the Brodie Foundation Scholarship.
Brodie Foundation Life Sciences Scholarship - $10,000 summer scholarship to conduct research with an FGCU faculty advisor in a life science area. The award is split as $5,000 as a summer scholarship to the student and $5,000  for research supplies and travel while the student is conducting research at FGCU.

  *   Requirements: Student must provide a letter of support from their faculty research advisor, conduct research related to the life sciences, have a minimum 3.0 GPA, and have an expected graduation date of May 2022 or later.
Blair Foundation Scholarships - $5,000 summer scholarship to conduct research with an FGCU faculty advisor. Seven of these are specifically for student conducting environmental research while six will be for any area of STEM research.

  *   Requirements: Student must provide a letter of support from their faculty research advisor, demonstrate a serious commitment to protecting the environment, have a minimum 3.0 GPA, and be an upper-level student pursuing any STEM major. There will be 13 awards for 2021.
All scholarship awardees must also complete an additional scholarship application with the FGCU Foundation Office<https://www.fgcu.edu/admissionsandaid/financialaid/undergraduate/typesofaid/scholarships> in order to receive any FGCU scholarship.

View a previous template for Faculty Mentor Letter<https://www.fgcu.edu/cas/centers/whitaker/files/Letter_to_Faculty_Mentor_Scholarships2018-ADA.pdf> for summer research scholarships.

Students can Apply Here<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://fgcumarcomm.formstack.com/forms/student_scholarship_application_2021__;!!IkmNjII!WUb6edkl3yaJ1ugM0IjuQS9cMJll3ohI4YzInfaqBkPyd6n1HnCzIXby9GzAI_1X$ >

Brian Johnson, Ph.D.
Interim Director, Whitaker Center for STEM Education
Associate Professor of Mathematics
Florida Gulf Coast University
10501 FGCU Blvd. South
Fort Myers, FL  33965-6565

Whitaker Hall 223
bpjohnson at fgcu.edu<mailto:bpjohnson at fgcu.edu>
239-590-1284
Pronouns: he/him

Pursuant to legislation passed in 2006 (F.S. 668.6076), as a state entity we are required to have the following statement in a conspicuous place.

“Florida has a very broad public records law.  As a result, any written communication created or received by Florida Gulf Coast University employees is subject to disclosure to the public and the media, upon request, unless otherwise exempt.  Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records.  If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.”