[WC] Dr. Donald Pan STEMinar - TODAY At 3:30pm

Johnson, Dr. Brian bpjohnson at fgcu.edu
Wed Mar 24 12:42:34 EDT 2021

One more quick reminder about TODAY’s STEMinar (back to our usual day and time!). You may register directly at this link:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://bit.ly/PanSTEMinar__;!!IkmNjII!RlWO-iKeC94jJClTeiSvgIhETWt1tT5qQ5VQMhNhLI27X8vvLp977p_jTC8XLg5L$

Hope to see you there!
Brian

Whitaker Center Virtual STEMinar Series

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D720AB.27BDDE10]The Whitaker Center is pleased to welcome Dr. Donald Pan, Postdoctoral Research Assistant, Department of Ecology & Environmental Studies Algae & Cyanobacteria at FGCU, for a virtual STEMinar.

Time, Date, Location: 3:30-4:30, Wednesday, March 24, 2021
Zoom info at http://www.fgcu.edu/whitakercenter<http://www.fgcu.edu/whitakercenter>

Title:  Viruses and microbes from the depths of the Earth to outer space (and other thoughts on international research, language, and STEM education)

Abstract:  From the deepest seas to the driest deserts, viruses and microbes have been found in nearly every environment on planet Earth. Microbiologists searching for life in far-away places have changed the scientific understanding of life and its diversity and resilience. I will share my own findings and experiences hunting for microbes and viruses in unusual places such as the Atacama desert in Chile, 1km below the bottom of the ocean, and Florida. In addition, I will also discuss diversity in STEM and share some advice for students who wish to pursue international scientific opportunities.

Brian Johnson, Ph.D.  |  Interim Director and Associate Professor
(he / him / his)
Whitaker Center for STEM Education and Department of Mathematics  |  College of Arts & Sciences
http://fgcu.edu/whitakercenter
[signature_1255937561]
10501 FGCU Boulevard South, Fort Myers, FL 33965  |  fgcu.edu<http://www.fgcu.edu>
P: 239.590.7444  |  E: bpjohnson at fgcu.edu
[signature_457921303]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.facebook.com/FloridaGulfCoastUniversity/__;!!IkmNjII!RlWO-iKeC94jJClTeiSvgIhETWt1tT5qQ5VQMhNhLI27X8vvLp977p_jTPVBKRQc$ > [signature_1283761006] <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.linkedin.com/school/florida-gulf-coast-university/__;!!IkmNjII!RlWO-iKeC94jJClTeiSvgIhETWt1tT5qQ5VQMhNhLI27X8vvLp977p_jTHs12ApS$ >  [signature_1554186975] <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://twitter.com/fgcu/__;!!IkmNjII!RlWO-iKeC94jJClTeiSvgIhETWt1tT5qQ5VQMhNhLI27X8vvLp977p_jTJk3b5t4$ >
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.