[WC] Dr. Landon Frim STEMinar - Wed. At 1:30pm

Johnson, Dr. Brian bpjohnson at fgcu.edu
Mon Mar 8 07:49:54 EST 2021

Hello!

I’d like to remind you about this week’s STEMinar (usual day, but a slightly different time). You may register directly at this link: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://bit.ly/FrimSTEMinar__;!!IkmNjII!TVIn9esCae_UFPMhIh5aOCGDk0HAIpX8-SiRQk4Cxl0uzcZXXlxVyOr5y9pPjMYl$ .

Hope to see you there!
Brian

Whitaker Center Virtual STEMinar Series

[cid:image001.png at 01D713EF.9FBE0160]The Whitaker Center is pleased to welcome Dr. Landon Frim, Assistant Professor in the Department of Communication and Philosophy at FGCU, for a virtual STEMinar.

Time, Date, Location: 1:30-2:30, Wednesday, March 10, 2021
Zoom info at http://www.fgcu.edu/whitakercenter<http://www.fgcu.edu/whitakercenter>

Title:  PROMETHEUS vs GAIA: Technology, Ecology, and the Future of Humankind

Abstract:  We are facing unprecedented challenges, not least of which is global climate change. But how shall we meet these challenges? Two intellectual tendencies have emerged as of late. Eco-pessimists invoke the image of Gaia. They insist that we should humble ourselves before the Earth, and that "small is beautiful." On the other hand, accelerationists invoke the titan Prometheus, who defied the Gods in order to steal fire. For them, advanced technology is the answer, and our only hope is to outgrow the present crises. What could be starker than a choice between community gardens and terraforming whole planets? Surprisingly, however, these two mythic positions share more in common than appearances let on. This talk will reveal these similarities, and point toward a new way forward altogether.

Brian Johnson, Ph.D.  |  Interim Director and Associate Professor
(he / him / his)
Whitaker Center for STEM Education and Department of Mathematics  |  College of Arts & Sciences
http://fgcu.edu/whitakercenter
[signature_1255937561]
10501 FGCU Boulevard South, Fort Myers, FL 33965  |  fgcu.edu<http://www.fgcu.edu>
P: 239.590.7444  |  E: bpjohnson at fgcu.edu
[signature_457921303]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.facebook.com/FloridaGulfCoastUniversity/__;!!IkmNjII!TVIn9esCae_UFPMhIh5aOCGDk0HAIpX8-SiRQk4Cxl0uzcZXXlxVyOr5y1Xlsd8k$ > [signature_1283761006] <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.linkedin.com/school/florida-gulf-coast-university/__;!!IkmNjII!TVIn9esCae_UFPMhIh5aOCGDk0HAIpX8-SiRQk4Cxl0uzcZXXlxVyOr5ywjNCSey$ >  [signature_1554186975] <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://twitter.com/fgcu/__;!!IkmNjII!TVIn9esCae_UFPMhIh5aOCGDk0HAIpX8-SiRQk4Cxl0uzcZXXlxVyOr5y8ciBfci$ >
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.